Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pretty Please With a Cherry on Top

Since getting my pig tattoo in Kyrgyzstan last year, I have been actively planning my next one. In the movie 500 Days of Summer, Joseph Gordon-Levitt draws a skyline on Zooey Deschanel's arm. This got me thinking about skylines and I started imagining a Minneapolis skyline tattoo. I made a facebook status about it, and my friend Boris, whose hobby is graphic design, drew up a possible tattoo for me. It's beautiful and exactly what I'd been imagining, but a tattoo is still a big commitment.


I decided that I'd first try out the design in a knitting pattern. I've always wanted arm warmers so I drew up a skyline pattern for them and got knitting. Here is the finished product:



For the first time in my knitting life, I kept track row-by-row what I was doing, so the 2 hand warmers are exactly the same size (I usually count rows after completion and socks/mittens/thumbs are never the same length). However, the design itself is slightly flawed because my thumb and fingers still get really cold! What is the point? I guess they are meant to be worn when its warm enough out for fingers to stay toasty (but then is a palm warmer necessary at all?) Whatever, they are damn cool and I will wear them because, as I always say, "Style over comfort." People probably look at them and have no idea what the image is, but I know that wherever I go, Minneapolis is with me!

Now I just need to decide where to get a tattoo, but I might want this instead (sorry Mike!) Istanbul is beautiful...



1 comment:

  1. my ex wants me to make a nearly identical thing - i'm going to make him ones with finger holes as well, though, and using thin black yarn

    ReplyDelete