There seems to be an endless stream of ideas in my head of things I can decoupage - picture frames, necklace pendants, more cigar boxes, dresser drawers, switch plates, lamp shades, wooden bowls... good thing it's winter and I have evenings free to turn all these ideas into reality! Pretty soon my house will completely covered in maps.
Saturday, November 13, 2010
Crazy About Decoupage!
I recently became obsessed with decoupage. I had done exactly one decoupage project back in 2008- a cardboard money bank covered in Berber pictures for Aissa to save money for a trip back to Algeria, but beyond that, I didn't do much with decoupage, even though I had lots of ideas.
Well, one day at work I became crazy about the idea of starting again. After work I stopped at Utrect, an art store, looking for Mod Podge. They didn't have that, so I got Yes! Paste, a similar kind of glue that the salesman recommended. Aissa has brought home a few cigar boxes from work for me, and I decided that they would be the perfect things to start decorating. I had some MIR travel brochures with tons of pictures of Central Asia, so I cut out the best ones and glued them on. My final goal is to put a handle and a clasp on it to make a purse, but I haven't gotten past the gluing stage (Yes! Paste dries very slowly, so I can only do one top coat every 24 hours). Here are pictures of it so far.
I then decided to keep going. I inherited an IKEA side table from Aissa's old roommate, and I bought a vintage National Geographic map of Asia a few months ago, and I thought that they belong together. So I started a map table. I still have to do a top coat and I want to cover the insides of the legs with maps, but here is a table that is now a million times cooler than it was this morning before I started.
There seems to be an endless stream of ideas in my head of things I can decoupage - picture frames, necklace pendants, more cigar boxes, dresser drawers, switch plates, lamp shades, wooden bowls... good thing it's winter and I have evenings free to turn all these ideas into reality! Pretty soon my house will completely covered in maps.
There seems to be an endless stream of ideas in my head of things I can decoupage - picture frames, necklace pendants, more cigar boxes, dresser drawers, switch plates, lamp shades, wooden bowls... good thing it's winter and I have evenings free to turn all these ideas into reality! Pretty soon my house will completely covered in maps.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment