Sunday, April 15, 2012

You Reap What You Sew

I have gotten back into sewing! I now own a sewing machine AND a serger thanks to craigslist, and I got both for a total of $40. I started out with small projects since I hadn't sewn regularly since high school, but finally got around to some real clothing projects.

After getting back from Algeria, I was inspired by the traditional Berber dresses. Aissa's family had one made for me while we were there, but the style isn't something I could really wear everyday around Minneapolis without looking like I was heading to a costume party. I wanted to make an American-style Berber dress. So after picking up some awesome fabric, a $1 dress pattern, and a basket-full of ric-rac, I was ready to go. I always used to make up my own patterns as I went, so I didn't have much experience with real patterns. However, this was called "Sew Simple" so I hoped it would be so simple. Minus the darts, it was. I had a hell of a time getting the bust darts to lay right, but I have to blame myself. I serged them rather than all that pinning and basting and re-stitching. I still cut corners anywhere I can, but I had to kick myself afterwards when they looked like I had an Austin Powers fem-bot bra on! After hours of pulling out stitches and re-stitching, I finally got them looking presentable. Done and done. Here it is!





I felt so excited about finally successfully completing a real sewing project, I got started immediately on the next one. I bought some great travel themed postage stamp fabric at the Junk Bonanza two years ago, and haven't done much with it except make a Kindle case and a necklace for my mom.



So, I decided to make myself an apron. I have wanted one for a while now and just hadn't gotten around to buying one. I looked at some patterns online to get an idea of sizing, but then mostly just guessed and cut and stitched. And the result was perfect. I look adorable. I love myself sometimes.


(Don't worry, I have shorts on underneath. No inappropriate cooking going on here!)

No comments:

Post a Comment