Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Wrapped Around my Finger

Recently I've seen a lot of girls with super skinny scarves. Since it's getting to be spring, I'd been trying to think about the best way to knit a scarf like that. Using needles is tedious because you spend most of the time switching the needles between hands to start the next row. Last night though, I found the perfect thing!

As I was on stumbleupon.com, I came across this website. I had never heard of finger-knitting before and so had to immediately try it. It seems like such a fun, easy craft idea that I can't believe I hadn't seen it before (or even learned it in school.)


This is what it looks like as you're doing it. It goes really quickly so you can finish a strand in just a few minutes. If you want to take a break, just move the stitches over onto a knitting needle or pencil and pick it up again whenever you want.





In less than 2 hours I whipped up this scarf, made up for 3 finger-knit strands. Braid and baste together at the ends and voila! You have a beautiful scarf.



I brought a little ball of yarn to work today to practice some more, but it ended up being enough to make a full scarf. 

My co-workers are always very impressed by my knitting, but today's finger-knitting in the teachers' room was the biggest hit yet. One of the first grade class teachers said she wished that I was younger so that I could marry her 16-year-old son. She thought about it more and then asked me if I wanted to marry him anyway! I doubt an atheist older woman is really what a conservative Muslim family wants for their eldest son, but it's still cute that all the women I work with think my knitting skills will make me a great wife. If anyone else though that then maybe I'd have been married off already, or better yet, bride-kidnapped in Kyrgyzstan!

No comments:

Post a Comment